Sunday, July 27, 2008

A note from our friend, Scott Gorrill

A note from Scott:

It is hard to believe that it has been over a week since the surgery. In my mind I thought I would be back to normal by this time. I am not so much discouraged with the progress, as I am discouraged that I set these expectations that have not been met in the time frame I had in mind. I am learning to “down-shift” a little and allow my body time to heal. In light of this I am very thankful that the Lord has allowed me to recover so well in just a week, and even more thankful how the Lord has answered our prayers with Hudson, beyond all our expectations.

Some of you may not know my connection to Donny and Kristi, so here is a little background. I first met Kristi as a Jr. High student at Grace Church of Dupage, where her dad was pastor. We both spent time together throughout high school in the church and at school. Donny moved to the Chicagoland area to attend Wheaton College. I got to know him as one of my youth leaders there at Grace. He was always on the go, but never too busy to invest in the lives of the students in the ministry. He loved and cared for me as both a H.S. student and a young college student. I spent countless nights at Wheaton College just spending time with him. He was, and still is, a man who’s desire is to please the Lord. Once they got married, their plans took them away from Chicago to Michigan. We lost touch, but that did not change my love and respect for him as a brother in Christ.

Following their move back to Chicago and Hudson’s birth, we connected through their email updates. We began praying for their family and were eager to see how the Lord was going to work. Our faith was constantly encouraged as we read their honest struggles through this heart-wrenching process. I knew that I wanted to do something to help but that was difficult from so far away. In the fall, of 2007, when Richard was processing through the transplant, I began to wonder, “What does it take to be a donor?” But since Richard was in line to donate, it went no further. With the news that Richard would not be able to donate, I contacted the transplant unit at UW. As I looked at my daughter, who at the time was 8 months old, I thought, “I wonder if there are people in my life who would be willing to do this for her.” I decided then that, if the Lord would see fit for me to match Hudson, that I wanted to be able to give a little piece of me (that I can live without anyway), so that he might be able to live a more full life and especially one that walks in the footsteps of his father as a Man of God. Although every day since surgery has not been enjoyable, it gives me great joy to know that the Lord chose to use me and my family in this way.

Thank you for your prayers and support. We are the body of Christ, working together for the good of the Body. You have all played a vital part, just not out in front for everyone to see. May He receive all the praise for the wonderful things He has done!! I am eager to see how the Lord will continue to grow me and my family as we reflect on His Goodness to us.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Scott,
I have been following Hudson from the beginning. Although Donny and Kristi have certainly sacrificed a lot for their son, it was their son. I am simply amazed by your sacrifice for him, and kindness to somebody who you aren't related to at all. Your own faith in God is very inspiring to me personally. I am sure this will give your wife some great ways to brag about how incredible her husband is! Thank you for filling such a great need for the Vankers. May Jesus bless you richly.

Anonymous said...

Scott...and Kim, Your 'note' was an importantly vital piece of this puzzle. You've been the Gift-giver, the Life-giver for some one else's son!!!!(was it Donny who called Hudson 'the sweetest little boy') The inspiration for you to be generous at your own expense was none other than our generous Heavenly Father, whose love you have mimicked. He saw our need and He acted (the giving of His own Son on the brutal cross) - you saw Kristi, Donny and Hudson's need and you acted (under the knife you went). May this generosity open doors for the glorious gospel. Thank you for your kindness to the Vankers-mere words will never be adequate for what you have done. Thank-you!!!!for letting us know your own health status. Now we know how to pray. ".....and He shall be the stability of your times..." Isa.8.13 Marc and Carol

Unknown said...

Very precious letter Scott...truly giving thanks to the Lord on every remembrance of you! We all will long remember this selfless sacrifice you have made. God Bless you Scott! Connie P.

Unknown said...

Hey, Scott - know that you and Hudson are in our prayers. We miss you guys but are grateful for your example and testimony. By the way, I'm watching the Cubs and Brewers, 0-0, bottom of the second. All God's blessings, Tim Schoap